Sunday, January 10, 2016

Onimusha Soul Morrigan

Happy New Year!  It's been a bit since I updated this blog! I've been waiting to have some costume progress, and now I do!  I've been working on a new version of Morrigan Aensland.  Capcom apparently developed a game called Onimusha: Soul for the PS3 a while back, I came across the artwork for Morrigan by chance and loved it.

I wanted to put my own spin on this artwork, so I've been taking a lot of creative liberties. :)  Today, I finished the main kimono.  It's made of silk Dupioni fabric four the sort of beige-ish color of the main fabric, and I lined it with a red paisley brocade for the lining and details.  Here's the result, so far:


I used Simplicity pattern 4080 for this kimono, and did some modifying to suit the look I'm trying to go for.  This is a fairly decent pattern and the first kimono I've ever made, but the sleeve instructions had me a little confused for a while.  I found a video on YouTube of a girl demonstrating how to make the sleeves, and once I started working on the first sleeve I finally figured out what the instructions were saying.  I took pictures of the sleeves as I went along, I'll try to do a separate post with instructions.  Now that the main kimono is done, I'm debating on whether or not I will make the outer skirt part that has the big flowers on it.  If I do, I think I've found a lovely brocade to do it in!

The other thing I've been working on for this costume are the wings.  When I was trying to figure out how I wanted to do this costume, I knew that I wanted to do something really cool with her wings.  I came up with the idea of making a flower crown headband for her head wings, and a friend of mine also suggested that I give it spikes.  I did NOT know this was a thing!  I need to make some of these headbands now, just because they're awesome (Minus the bat wings, lol).  The head wings aren't quite done being painted, but here's how they are looking right now: 
The head wings on top of the wig I plan to wear.

It's hard to tell in the picture, but they are painted in metallic red and purple.  The red paint was a little difficult to work with, and I might try to bring out the color a little more.  The back wings were the next thing, and I came up with a really awesome idea for them.  I wanted the back wings to look like a painting, and decided that I wanted to paint cherry blossoms on them!!  Cherry Blossoms are one of my favorite flowers, and I'm REALLY happy I decided to go this route with them.  They came out SO PRETTY!!!

A close-up view of the flowers

The wings are made of 9 gauge wire, craft foam, plastic plumbing tubing, and Fimo Air Light clay for the claws.  I like how light the Fimo is, but I may go back to using Sculpey because it's not as fragile-feeling.  The metallic colors match the head wings, and then I painted on the cherry blossom branches and blossoms.  I went back over the branches with some Tulip puff paint so the branches could have some texture. :D  This costume is turning out just the way I want, so far, I'm SO EXCITED!!  The big wings are the reason I'm debating on whether or not I will do the outer skirt on the kimono, I'm trying to not go absolutely overboard with the details and keep it balanced.  We'll see what happens!!  <3 

No comments:

Post a Comment